January 20th, 2009

Black horse

Instantaneous combustion?


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Investigators are baffled as to how a man suffered second- and third-degree burns inside his apartment - even though the only sign of a fire was a candle in the bathroom. Knoxville Fire Department crews found the 56-year-old victim inside his apartment bathroom Monday afternoon with third-degree burns to his face and second-degree burns to his hands.

Officials say they knocked on the door of the unit at Cagle Terrace Apartments, and went inside when they heard someone moaning.

The man, who was not identified, was later taken to a burn center for treatment.

Fire officials say their investigation is ongoing.